What is the trendiest concept in food today? A sweet, salty, steak-like bacon experience some are calling ‘Millionaire’s Bacon.’ The smoky, savory-candied treat is sweeping places like the San Francisco food scene right off of their avocado toast!
The slightly spicy yet sweet, super-thick, center-cut bacon is a complex explosion of flavor. It has taken on a life of its own on social media with the #millionairesbacon gaining thousands of posts and counting.
The indulgent delight can become the star of any brunch, or make a splash in an adult beverage. The slices can be kept whole or broken into bits of millionaire gold to add on top of eggs Benedict or waffles dripping with maple syrup.
Surprisingly, this pork masterpiece is easy enough to make at home. Here’s how:
*Start with the thickest center-cut bacon you can find. We like going to an old-school butcher and having them cut it in slices between 1/4″ and 1/2″.
1 lb of thick-sliced bacon
6 Tbsp Brown Sugar
1 tsp Cayenne pepper
1 tsp black pepper
- Begin by preheating your oven to 350° and lining a baking sheet with parchment paper or aluminum foil.
- Sprinkle the bacon with about half of the brown sugar.
- Sprinkle on the red pepper flakes, cayenne and cracked black pepper.
- Sprinkle the rest of the brown sugar on the top and then give it a good pat all over. Think of it as a rub that’s going to coat your bacon in candy-like goodness. You don’t really have to worry about coating the reverse side because as the bacon cooks, the sugary coating will run under it and coat the other side of the bacon too.
- Bake for 20 – 30 minutes, until it reaches your desired crispiness.
Try to wait until the bacon cools slightly before experiencing the phenomenon of “Millionaire’s Bacon.”