In the latest verified updates on the Parkland school shooting regarding confessed gunman, Nikolas Cruz, here’s what we know so far:
- Officials have interviewed more than 2,000 individuals
- At approximately 2:19 p.m. on Wednesday, the suspect arrived outside of the school via Uber
- The suspect pulled his rifle out of the case as he entered the east stairwell of Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School
- By 2:21 p.m., he began shooting into classrooms
- He moved to the second floor, shot one victim in a classroom at 2:34 p.m.
- The suspect then dropped his gun and backpack and ran downstairs
- He attempted to blend in with the other students. crossed fields, ran west along with others
- The suspect walked to Walmart, purchased a drink at Subway, exited Walmart on foot
- He is seen on surveillance sitting at McDonald’s at 3:01 p.m.
- At 3:41 p.m. the suspect was detained by officers in Coral Springs
The following is our story from February 15, 2018:
Parkland School Shooting suspect Nikolas Cruz makes confession according to Broward County documents
Law officials confirmed on Thursday that Florida shooting suspect, Nikolas Cruz, confessed to being the shooter at the Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida. The event on Wednesday left at least 17 dead and more than a dozen injured.
Broward County court documents read, “In a post Miranda statement, Cruz stated that he was the gunman who entered the school campus armed with a AR-15 and began shooting students that he saw in the hallway and on the school grounds. Cruz stated that he bought additional loaded magazines to the school campus and kept them hidden in a backpack until he got on campus to begin his assault.”
Portions of the assailant’s plans were revealed in the documents as they continued by saying, “Cruz also admitted that as students began to flee the campus on foot he decided a plan to discard the AR15 and vest with the additional magazines so he could blend into the crowd.”